Sunday, January 18, 2009

Thy name is destiny

Do you believe in destiny, asked my friend.
My instant reply: “Yes.”
Will explain. We were staying at Ghatkopar, Mumbai, that time. Me and my brother’s family were preparing to leave for Nashik. It was a cold evening. A group of children were playing cricket outside our Pant Nagar home. I do not know why, I just picked up the bat and told the boys, “just one shot.” And I hit it. Like a bullet it went and knocked a woman crossing the road, right on her head. She fainted. The usual crowd gathered.
The children screamed: “It’s uncle, uncle.”
Stupid, I wasn’t “uncle” that time. I wasn’t even married.
Anyway. They tried keeping onion near her nose, splashed water, and tried all superstitious things. I couldn’t hide, nor face the crowd. It was embarrassing. I dreamt, God forbid, if she dies! Am I going to jail? Fortunately, she woke up a few minutes later. I repeatedly apologized. She said she was fasting and hence felt giddy. I still pray for her. Imagine the course of my life in a worst-case scenario.
Ask Paulo Coelho, he’s so fond of the word “Maktoob” (close to the word – destiny, in Arabic) that he will give more explanation on destiny.
Mahatma Gandhi was travelling to South Africa on a ship when a storm shook the vessel. He has mentioned in his book that it’s a miracle he survived. Imagine the course of Indian history without the great Mahatma.
Forget all this. Don’t laugh when I say my path changed at the loo of The Times of India. I just entered the wash room when the business editor then of Mumbai edition, RS, saw me and said, “You Madrasi. You keep cribbing about poor pay under Government Wage Board system. Would you like to go to the Gulf?”
“If the pay is good,” I replied.
Within months, I landed at the Dubai airport and eight years have gone by.
Now, do you believe in destiny? You better do. And the way to beat destiny is to work, work and work without attachment and, of course, enjoy life and whatever it brings in.

15 comments:

NAVAL LANGA said...

I liked the reference of Mahatma Gandhi in your blog.

Naval Langa
SHORT STORIES by NAVAL LANGA

Deepak Barua said...

I don't know about others, but atleast I do believe in it, few great people have said,everyone makes their own destiny, but what push them towards it, is that destiny only...

Deepak Barua said...

Hey thx for ur wishes, I read ur comment on vinisha's blog, but I really don't know how I did same mistake again.

Kadri Luik said...

I think we are all destined to do a specific thing or more in our lives, but it's up to us to find the road there. All those who claim that they "never got the chance" simply didn't recognize it when it presented it self to them and now they are taking the longer road.

Priyanka Khot said...

hmmm destiny is a weird concept. as soon as i begin to believe, it gives me reasons to abandon my faith and when i do that life puts be back on the track to bow down to DESTINY.

Vinisha said...

I have had this big debate about destiny throughout my teenage life. Now I believe in the collective force of a billion people living their lives and making an impact on mine.

That's one hell of a destiny to live by. It's like those human waves you see at a football match :)

MumbaiiteAnu said...

You have shared an interesting memory of Mumbai.
I agree. I believe in destiny, faith and prayer, especially after becoming mom of 3 1/2 yr old Krrish. After 14 years of marriage, we adopted 21 month old Krrish and I am a proud mother for almost two years now :-)
I believed, and persisted till my hubby and family agreed.
Faith and persistence are important to get the best of destiny's gifts.

humanobserver said...

Of course...I do beleive in it...

Soul Searcher said...

Some they say is destiny and the rest is hard work or the lack of it...

If everything was destiny what is the purpose of us being around...

RAJI MUTHUKRISHNAN said...

Loved this.

Everything that happens is predestined.
If you think you have changed it, that was also predestined.
If you think there is no destiny, it is your destiny to think thus.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Tantra Flower said...

I love this post!

Yes I believe in destiny, as I also believe in Karma. I also think that we have free will, but I do not choose to fight my destiny or karmas because I do not wish to put off my lessons.

Prachi Pandey said...

i han award for you please vist blog(http://delhiwithavinash.blogspot.com/) and pick it up. Have a nice Time
Regards

Sujoy Bhattacharjee said...

Which is why I like alternate history!!!

Saadia said...

It's uncle, it's uncle. LOL! Good one!

R. Ramesh said...

thanks sujoy..couldnot leave a comment in yr blog..some tech hitch...stay connected..